Home Page

Identifying SEN

Identifying SEN

What are SEN?

“A child has Special Educational Needs if he or she has a learning difficulty which calls for Special Educational Provision to be made for him or her.” (SEN and Disability Code of Practice 2014)

How does Monks Abbey decide if a pupil needs extra support?

  • Liason with parents/carers prior to the child starting school.
  • Liason with the previous school/s prior to the child transferring to our school.
  • Adult observations over a period of time (e.g. by teachers, assistants and midday supervisors).
  • Monitoring data (children’s attainment and progress is collected and analysed at least half termly.
  • Concerns raised by parents.
  • Pupil discussions (e.g. if they find something challenging, whether it be academic, communication, social, emotional, behavioural,  physical or sensory)
  • Liason with external agencies, including health diagnoses through a paediatrician.
  • Assessments of certain aspects of learning e.g. Speech and Language